Saturday, August 23, 2014

goat morning.

I am here on my first day in Alabama. When I first arrived I was greeted by the program coordinator at the school, Ali. She was so friendly and was so enthusiastic about the place I would be living and working. I
took this as a very good sign. After a long drive to get to the middle of nowhere, we arrived at the camp. The sun was already setting so I didn't get a good look at the place but when I finally got outside and looked up I got a breathtaking view of the stars. I could see the Milky Way and shooting stars and the many satellites. The tree line back on the ground was sparkling with fireflies. I was completely taken back by the beauty of the night in the place I had just made my new home for a while. I followed Ali through a barn and she asked if I wanted to milk the goats, um hell yes! So I met them. Sandy, Veronica, little Lola and the buck, big boy Blue. Ali gave me a little lesson on how to prep the girls for milking. It looked so easy, I knew I’d be great. When I sat down next to the bucket though and stated squeezing, nothing came out. I eventually learned the proper technique and got a good flow going. Unfortunately, soon after Sandy finished her dinner and become impatient and grouchy. She started kicking and jumping and almost kicked the milk bucket all over the ground. I learned how to calm her down and make her be patient. Yay, I had done it! I finished up and let Ali take over for the next milking. After, we headed back to the building that would be my new home. I met some of the people I would be working with and we just sat around the living room getting to know each other. After they all left, I explored my new place. It is a two story beautiful wood structure in the woods. I chose a corner room and set a few of my things up around the room. I played some tunes on my uke and went to sleep, very excited for the next morning’s adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment