Tuesday, August 12, 2014

i don't wanna wait... for my next trip to Wilmington, NC.

I know I did not get a chance to visit any museums in Wilmington, but the bit of culture I did pick up was that it was where Dawson's Creek was filmed, oh my! And it definitely had that quaint, small city feel. The city has a harbor on Cape Fear, (I know what you're thinking, why wasn't the show called Dawson's Cape?), anyway, the place was great. The University of Wilmington provides a bit of a younger crowd to the town as well as a trickle over of soldiers from the Marine base. Overall, the place reminded me of a port city Ashville. Hip and fun with many of the older style southern buildings.
The University offers some pretty good environmental programs so we decided to go check out the campus. It was really nice although because it is the summer, it was pretty devoid of people. We were so happy to have made the stop though because we got to see this beautiful hawk just chilling on top of some electrical box. I mean, how cool is that?

 With the baby all snug at her grandparents, Shayna and I finally got a chance to go check out the city. We went into a trendy dress store, a quirky t-shirt shop an made it to the delightful Shucking Shack. This was a small restaurant but with only about three tables, it was more like a seafood bar. In fact, it was so squeezed in that there was not enough room for the kitchen. The waitress brought the food to the table from the dumb waiter behind the bar. After dinner, we walked around a bit more and I saw the very strange character of the city, it's poor drainage issues. What made it more interesting to me was that it seem pretty normal to the people there. It seemed people were a little concerned about a bad hurricane however no one seemed to bother that their cars were only one storm away from floating down the creek. We even saw a guy strolling along the street walk straight through this huge puddle that was practically up to his knees. I mean, he didn't even seem fazed at all.
After, Shayna and I went to a 'happening' bar with two floors and live music on the roof. It was a great night and it was good to be out spending time with my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment