Thursday, August 7, 2014

the land of the pine.

I made it to North Carolina! The best part is I got to see my sister, brother-in-law and last but not least I got to meet baby Julia! She is so tiny and beautiful and we already love each other! My sister lives on the U.S. Marine base, Camp Lejeune. Truthfully, I did not know what to expect when coming here but really it seems pretty normal. You need an id card to enter and when my sister shows it to the man with the large gun at the gate, he salutes her before she drives on her way. So yeah, that's a little different. The MCX logo is everywhere (marine corps exchange) which makes for a bit of an eerie feel but besides for that there are also regular fast food franchises and chain stores. What is interesting are the people who live here. Everyone here is from somewhere else. Although my sister and her hubby live in the officers quarters, where it is typically quiet, there are other parts of the base that are more lively. Because of all the young soldiers living here there is a party town feel some nights. So far I haven't really seen too much southern living as we have mostly stayed in the house. I guess that is what happens when you are taking care of a new born baby. It's been very nice though to be able to spend time with them. I have learned a lot about babies in the past 48 hours and helped to assemble the crib and other general chores around the house. It's been a pretty relaxing and joyful time down here so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment